background

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Independent Woman

So guys, did you know i had a bike? it's true, i have truly gone "green." ok all jokes aside it's a legit bike, a Trek to be exact. I bought a used one at this bikeshop on campus. Anyways the other day my tire exploded and i thought "fuck! what do i do know." Luckily my handy dandy man friend knew exactly what to do and he came over and fixed it the other night.

This is not the important part of the story because who really wants to hear about a bike tire. The important part was that while he was fixing he was describing it to me as though it was something i might do in the future: "so when you unscrew this you will do it like this and then you take off the tire you will have to remember to do this and this." And then finally when it was all done he said "So now you know how to fix a tire for when it happens again."

I just have to say that being a woman this rarely ever happens. When people do stuff for you they almost never do it as a way to show you how to be free and independent and do it yourself. It's almost always a service being done for you with the assumption that if and when it happens again either they or someone else will do the same service. But it really struck me when he said that he was showing me so i could do it myself later. I realized...this guy really gets me! It's exactly the kind of thing my father would have said! My dad is a bit more crazy and probably would have made me take off the tire and rechange it all over again just so he could be assured that i did in fact know how to do it. But the point is he gets that i need to be indepedent and self sufficient and he doesn't seem to be threated by that. I mean really that's all i wanted to share. But yesterday my brakes weren't working and instead of waiting for him to come over and help me or taking it to a bikeshop where they would charge me 15 dollars in labor i took out my tool box (purchased by my father because he felt it was essential. mind you i am the only person in my house of 2 men who have a toolbox) and i assessed the situation for a minute...and then i did it! i fixed my own fucking brakes! and i haven't died today which means that i must have done it right.

No comments: