background

Friday, April 27, 2007

farewell BBQ's, mini dresses, and brown people

i am back from my hiatus! and by hiatus i mean school! school is officially over. now i just have to write my masters thesis, which all seems fairly simple considering. Ok but also i have been sparse on the entries because our internet at home is super shitty and disconnects every 5 minutes making it really hard to upload pictures and what not. So today i decided to take a break from my food network watching llistlessness to come to a mother fucking cafe and do some hardcore updatage. So let's go back a week....to last Friday when i really was officially done with school and i wanted to drink.

Much has happened. for one the weather has been super magical, Not nice, not sunny, but MAGICAL! likefor reals 74 degrees. What amazes me even more about this though is the fact that I lived in weather like this for 90% of my life and never noticed. And now here i am frolicking, getting excited about wearing flip flops, willingly shaving my legs. It's crazy times here. I remember as a kid i hated being barefoot or exposing my feet in anyway. Remember seeing those kids running around in their sprinklers in bathing suits on their front lawn barefoot? yeah this was not me. I was the kid sitting in my room with pijama pants and socks judging them from my window. Vacations to tropical locations were kind of a bitch because of this refusal to wear sandals so i'd always request to wear keds which would inevitably give me blisters. I know, my life is really hard sometimes...le sigh

Anyways onto the BBQ. I'm sad to say that a key member of my crew/our token black friend, kebbyne is transferring to Columbia and will be leaving us here in a few weeks. Tre sad indeed! So to celebrate Kebbyn had a bbq pot luck. the theme was "multiculturalism/foods from around the world/diversity/third world/diversity." I made rice and beans and the singaporeans made curry. i don't really know what look Kdawg was going for but he wore thisthis may have been one ofthe more unflattering outfits i have ever seen him wear, and this is a man who is known for his "bill cosby sweaters" that he purchases at the goodwill unironically. He asked me how i felt about socks and shorts and i just shook my head because really what do you say this hot mess standing before you.

I call this picture "foreshadowing of regret." This is me on 5 different cold medicines looking at my drink saying to myself "why???" Before taking this drink i was worried that i might pas out so i made sure to tell everyone i was with that night all the medicaiton i was on that way if the paramedic said "what is she on" they would let him know. Sidebar, does my hair not fabulously shiny! It's my new ionic hairdryer my mom bought me for my birthday. it cuts my blowdry time by 15 minutes! 15 minutes!! that is cray cray. Anyways i curled over the blowdry and added some frizzease finishing creme and voule (sp?)
this picture is called "fernando as a professor." This would be what the overly educated world terms their "dean's picture." for all you less edumacated folk, the deans picture is the picture that is up on the wall in the department where you work. These pictures tend to look like the photographed think themselves highly intelligent and pompous. The Education of a Mexican
This next picture i point out for several reasons
1) my dress is really cool. where the picture ends is about where my dress ended. I am a little bit excited about fashion these days since it's all mini dresses and i am short so i can wear mini dresses and not look ridiculous and because my legs are FAAAAAABulous!
2) isn't it crazy how i'm friends with so many aZians? like direct imports from azia too. craycray
3) whoever took this picture was clearly drunk. look how much ceiling there is.

then a few days later, or maybe earlier, i'm not sure, the latino psych students had a fiesta! no stop, i hate that word. we had a dinner where we all cooked lots of good Mexican and dominican food and it was bomb! and we talked about white people and how triffling they are some times and how there are 6 of us in a department of 200, what what!!

so a few things...the second girl on the left is a white wife of a member and note how all the brown peoepl are the color as her. don't tell me race isn't socially constructed! hola! also note that we are a very small people. I am the shortest bu tnot by that much. That people said it's a little disconcerting to see how short you are relative to other people.

this shot is called "i would rather die on my feet than continue living on my knees!" No JK, i got a little Xicana there for a second. My bad
we decided that we are going to turn this pic into black and white shadows and put it on a t shirt and on the back it will say "pocos pero locos" (few but crazy). true story.

2 comments:

Emily said...

hey so the pictures for like the whole first half didn't work. wha happened?

Emily said...

i really like your dress in those pics. the green shiny one. really pretty.