background

Sunday, August 27, 2006

so many things to discuss so i feel i need to bullet point them at the beginning, make myself a sort of outline, and then go into detail

1. people are fat here
2. people are super friendly here
3. i live in a basement
4. we drove forever and didn't even finish half a tank of gas
5. i love target
6. will i ever get real furniture
7. we're buying a condo next year.

wow what a crazy 4/3 days. serioulsy i don't even know how many days it has been. My dad and i both took separate red eyes here and we completely forgot that we lost 3 hours getting here so we ended up only sleeping like 3 hours but we got here and it was already morning, truly wretched. this was jet lag at it's worst. Then we got our rental car and went to pick up my car. my dad ended up renting a mini van which as much as i normally would hate mini vans was AWESOME!! serioulsy i might be converted! it was not gigantic and could fit in every parking spot but it was also way more roomy than our tahoe or any other suv i have ever been in. serioulsy, i am on the mini van bandwagon! no seriously!! check it out, the toyota sienna.

so then we went to the red roof inn which was ghetto but surprisingly decent considering it was like $70 bucks a night. apparenlty they are partnered with teh aewsome french hotel chain that we stayed at in munich, accor-novotel. Anyways we were planning on cleaning up the room and unpacking a bit that mornign but serioulsy we thought we were gonna die or exhaustien on the way to the red roof so we had to take a 4 hour nap. Then our day started and we went to see the house.

it's a pretty cool house, yellow, oldish, hardwood floors, reminiscent of living in a row house that is smaller. anyways it's a lot like hammarskjold. my room is in the basement. liek for reals, down almost two flights of stairs. But the landlord is really cool and we can paint our walls whatever color we want so i might have to plan some redecoration, although right now they are like blue and pastel green and i'm kin dof feeling it. when i got here my tivo and pottery barn duvet had already arrived. yay!! i opened up the duvet cover and by some chance it ended up looking way more ethnic than it looked online which i think is ok because it will go with my fiesta/ethnic art/chicana motif. eeeemagine. Anyways the room was filthy by our standards so we had to go to target to buy hella cleaning supplies, a vaccuum, etc etc. we got back and my papi and i got to it. wow, i tell you, i neer knew how hardcore my dad was about cleaning. he's more hardcore than my mom! it was exciting. and the both of us together was like insanity!! we didn't eat for like 6 hours straight all the of the days he was here because we just kept saying "we have to keep going....we have to keep going." But then after finishing my dad oddly wanted to eat at applebees everynight, which i found strange. he kept saying that he liked ann arbor because they had applebees and i kept trying to explain to him that we have applebees in la and he wouldn't believe me. anyways this brings me to my other point, no one in michigan understands my dad's accent. he'd try to order beer and the waitress would alwyas be like "excuse me sir." my poor dad.

anyways i love target, you can get everything there. i also love my dad because he is the best and totally helped me so much by paying for all the stuff i needed and all the stuff he wanted me to have. seroiously without his financial help i would be sitting in a room with a mattress, a blanket and my tile floors. instead i have a desk, a tv, a down comforter, and a rug. thanks papi!! my pap is the best!! also he felt bad since he knows how poor i am and will be forever! which agian brings me to another key thing i have been pondering...will i have ever real furniture. right now i have a bed i bought on craigslist, no headboard yet, just a frame. i have tables and a bookshelf that the guy who lived here before left behind which i'm sure he got handed down to him from somewhere. my dad bought me a target desk but it's not a fancy desk or anything. and i' msitting in a computer chair that a guy upstairs didn't want. and i feel liek this will be my lifestyle forever but i don't want it to be. but i also don't imagine ever having like 4000 to buy a new couch for a really long time. like seriously, will i ever stop living like a college student???? i don't really believe in buying cheap things so i tend to just avoid spending all that money and buying used at local second hand furniture stores. should i say my stuff in vintage??? right now i am in dire need of a couch. my room is HUGE, like bigger than david's whole apartment and so i can have a livign room in it if i wanted to. anwyays is this going ot be my life forever?

so my dad and i went driving around looking at real estate today since we are from california where a small house in the ghetto would cost you like 500 to 600,000. we saw this beautiful 1800's house that had 8 bedrooms, yes 8 bedrooms, totally redone inside, with a full basement for 250,000!!! ahhh!! then we saw a 2 bedroom condo with all new stuff in it, on a lake really near campus for less than 150,000 and it was decided, my parents and i (mainlymy parents) are teaming up next year and buying a condo. actually my parents are buying a condo and i'm living in it. seriously that kind of money is like monopoly money to us!! i decided that someday when i'm a professor i need to work in california first so i can buy a psuedo decent but expensive house there, build up equity, and then move to another state where things are cheaper so i can buy a PHAT house with all the fixings! this is my life plan. ok but serioulsy, logistical question, if i have no real furniture what am i going to decorate my phat condo with???

ok another random thing to note, my roommates never lock the door. my dad and i were wigging because we're from la and we ALWAYS lock our doors because you never know who is lurking. the midwest is wierd.

oh yeah, my dad and i drove all over the area, like seriusly a lot of driving and we barely did half a tank of gas. that is how much my mom uses ina one day period. i was shocked, SHOCKED. we came to the conclusion that it must be because all of the houses have a lot of land so you feel liek you are driving further than you actually are, like an optical illusion. does that make sense. anyways real rural. i will take pictures tomorrow and post them. i am tired, jetlagged, i am so wierded out and i have no idea where i am or what time it realy is here ore there. the wierd thing is that i'm gonna get ready for bed now while all of my california peeps are getting really for dinner. le sigh....

shout out to my baby boy, david who does not read this but who is awesome. today on his surgical rotation he saved someones life by diagnosing someone with the gaut. the surgeon of course wanted to do surgery but david was like, no i think they have gaut, because like me david knows about the medici's and how they all had gaut and had pain in their toes and stuff like that. anyways the surgeon was wrong and david was right!! apparently surgeons are as assholish as they seem on tv. they just want to cut you open and get you out so they can cut open the next person. David also got to take out an absys (however it is spelled) in someones ass. is it wrong that i am aroused by this?? the life saving, not the asshole stuff

No comments: