background

Sunday, August 27, 2006

To TorTor, my bff 4 life!!

So the other day i wrote my friend tory an email explaining that according ot gawker we are no longer cool with our truncation of the english langauge (ie: totes, ridic, hilar, etc.). i still stand by my belief that we started truncating before it was cool and therefore are cool, and also that ridic was so our truncation and not something we read somewhere and copied. whatevs bitches. Anyways i also sent her this article in the new york times which sucks and makes me hate truncation even more even though i really love it. she wrote me a most brilliant response about our use of truncation vs. a 13 year old's use of truncation and it really made me believe again. anyways here is the gawker article, here is the NY times article, and here is her response.

dude i could not read this one because I am not a paying member of nytimes.com :(

ok, in regards to the other article, who writes "natch"? for sers yo. we do not write "natch" for fuck's sake. the difference between you and me and all those other asshats, dear cricri, is that we are always ALWAYS aware of our truncations. we did not start to truncate solely for efficiency's sake, we truncate because we are artists. we lovingly craft our truncations and choose the right times to use them. do i sometimes say "totally"? hell yes sometimes i come right out and say "totally." but sometimes, sometimes the ONLY way to express something is to say, with conviction and confidence: totes. When I wear my totes shirt, I am not trying to evoke in other people the aura conveyed by the sense of the word "totally," except in a cute way by having used slang instead of proper english. I am not sending a message of "yeah, I am totally all that," or "i am totally rocking your world." No, I am sending the simple clear, but still somewhat obtuse message of "TOTES." We have moved beyond simple slang and into the realm of conceptual art, you realize. To say "for sers" is ridiculous, and not just because we went to Stanford. But we own that ridiculousness. You'll note there that I did not say "ridic," because, in that instance, it was not appropriate. I don't think the author of this article even realizes the depths of possibilities and how mired one can find oneself in the intricacies of such language. What I'm saying is, totes no longer means totally. It means totes. It is a neologism, something our self-satisfied little reporter apparently has not grasped. To lump words like "totes," "obvs," and presumably, though not mentioned because this guy probably isn't even aware of them, our beloved "ridic" and "for sers" in with words like "bestie" and "lylas" is insulting and shows a distinct lack of understanding.

and that, cricri, is why we are so so totes cool



to





Bravo ToTo!! bravo!! she managed to express my exact feelings using great words like obtuse, and neologism. brilliant!! and my favorite part was when she compared us to conceptual artists, which i have often considered myself to be a bit of a conceptual artists that people don't relaly get. Have you ever seen the movie "you me and eveyrone we know" because it's wierd and depressing and about a conceptual artist, but i kind of got it and dug it because i coudl feel her pain of being misunderstood. anyways totes rock on bitches! i shall not stop truncating because some stupid teenager has decided it is the cool to be ridiculous. i shall own my ridiculousness because it is what it is.

on another note i'd liek to inform you all that best buy is currently selling dawson's creek, gilmore girls, curb your enthusiams, and south park all for 19.99 a season 'after savings" according to their weekly special magazine. i do'nt knw owaht this after savings thing means but i'm going ot check it out tomorrow and see if it's true. i hope it's not some kind of lame mail in rebate. i fucking hate that shit. just give me my savings now! i know about this deal because as a joke my dad threw me the coupon section of the newspaper. for a split second i actually considered cutting coupons. would you judge me? actually the more important question is woudl i care if you judged me? yes i would care so i will hold off on the coupon cutting for now. i'm not that desperate yet....

oh god nip tuck starts this week! my frist new show of the season!!!!! i have to get my tivo set up tomorrow. apparently tivo can go wireless now. i must figure out how to do, stat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you and me and everyone we know is an awesome movie! cristina, when will this end?
orges