background

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Hugsy, my bedtime penguin pal!

So I've taken up knitting over the past year. I don't really know why. Actually I didn't just take it up. My mom showed me how to do it when I was younger, and I did it for a while but i was not really that good because I didn't know how to do patterns. But then when I lived in the hippy commune last year my friend Tory taught me how to read patterns and stuff and i've been a knitting machine ever since. Now I have lots of time on my hands when I get home from work and so I figure I should be productive while I can. Perhaps it's because the thought of moving to the midwest makes me think that wool is going to play an important part in my life. Or maybe it's just me trying to be creative. Although I usually follow patterns, and by usually I mean always, so really creativity is not a huge factor here. Basically it's just my ability then. Anyways two of my cousins are having babies, both boys. I decided that as a proper aunt I should venture into making Baby wears, blankets, toys, etc. So check out some of my current projects.




















The blanket I'm hoping will turn out cool but I am REALLY excited about Pasha the penguin (that's what the pattern calls him). I decided that I would make it out a terry cloth type fabric so that it would be super soft. When I went down to LA a few weeks ago I was discussing the idea of the penguin with my cousin's husband and we decided that a penguin would be a good toy so we could call him "hugsy, my bedtime penguin pal" a la Joey on friends. Kind of lame, but whatever. It will be small and apparently they want me to knit it a scarf. Eee I'm really excited.

1 comment:

Emily said...

hahahahaha. dan, you are priceless, as is the cuteness of that stuffed animal. i used to try to use patterns when knitting, but 1. realized that knitting with patterns is not mindless and therefore cannot be done while studying, and 2. i can't for the life of me purl. i honestly don't know what's wrong with me. i can do the other stitches fine, but when it comes to purling, all is lost.

oh, and this is sara, by the way, on emily's computer. i can't remember my blogspot login stuff, and hers popped up automatically.