background

Sunday, September 20, 2009

hello out there blogosphere. does anybody still read this?? It's just a question i'm putting out there. I used to write with a set audience in mind but now it's like, "are you there god, it's me, Margaret." I know cathy reads this but i talk to her almost every day so no real news to report to her. so yeah, leave a comment if you're still reading this shizz...

anyways what's up with you? i'm watching the emmys which were entertaining the first 2 hours and then i got bored and decided to internet stalk people and then i thought, "i wonder if anyone is internet stalking me right now? i should write a post for anyone out there curious about what i'm doing." Well something that' i've been pondering...i think i now understand why people get married in their late 20's. Sometimes it's because you want to and all that jazz but i think most of the times it's because there's nothing else fun to do and everyone else is married or coupled off and you're just alone with your things so might as well plan a kick ass party because parties are so rare these days in old age. I haven't had any real fun in a while. All of my peers are no longer new to grad school and starving for company and willing to go out all the time anytime because they dont' want to sit alone at their house. Instead now everyone is moving to the outskirts of ann arbor, buying houses, having babies, moving in with people, leaving the party at 10pm to go home and snuggle...etc etc. And i'm not better. My weekends are now spent working at the computer lab and going to the farmer's market. this makes me sad! what happened to my youth full of theme parties. speaking of shacking up, nick has been living with me in ann arbor. scandalous! It's been fairly drama free except that neither he nor I know when he's moving out of the state, but we know that he is in fact moving at some point.

my professional life is still a pretty big disaster. I'm taking this professional development class about how to get a job and every time i leave the class i feel like i've been doing everything wrong. All the jobs that i'm qualified for are jobs that i hate (ie things pertaining to stats and research) and apparently no will will probably consider me for these jobs because i have not published a minimum of 3 papers. Basically i've VERY seriously considered dropping out of grad school several times this past week. Thsi is more than my usual consideration of dropping out. but then i realized that this is the worst economy ever and i have a guaranteed gig for the next 2 years, with the second year being all me and no actual job that i ahve to do. I willl just get paid for sitting around and writing. Or i could get a real job and move back to LA. so torn, so torn.

Anyways nothign really big to report. Fall is in full swing and it's AWESOME! not too hot, not too cold, no rain (yet) NO SNOW! it's ideal. Cathy will probably think it's freezing when she comes but ti's so awesome.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

fucking hell of depressing first thing to read on a monday morning, people getting married because their lives are essentially boring? dang.
-orgi

Emily said...

i still read it! i read this article about happiness and other things being socially contagious and i think marriage is too: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/13/magazine/13contagion-t.html?_r=3&pagewanted=1&em

Casey said...

I read it.

By the way, I have an adorable [Chinese] student who's about four feet tall and has straight bangs, and she said "ruxurious" the other day and my eyeballs almost popped out I had to work so hard not to laugh.