background

Friday, January 05, 2007

just like oil on my hands...

So i was reading John Mayer's blog the other day. Yes i read John Mayer's blog! Judge me! but his music is kind of my super guilty pleasure plus i kind of secretly think that John Mayer and I are kindred spirits and that if we ever met and hugn out we would get along swimmingly and become BFF and he'd write a song about platonic love for a woman named Cristina. Seroiusly, read his blog and tell me that he and I are not the same person.

Anyways the other day he put this video on his blog. It's the Corinne Bailey Rae song "like a star." And John (BFF's totally call each other by first names) writes

How a lock works
(picture of a lock)
"the right combination of pins lines up perfectly with the notches in the key"
...is the best way I can illustrate what happens to me when i see and hear this.

See the thing is, i watched the video for the song and i heard the lyrics and i thought, fuck dude, i know what you mean! My problem is that i tend to have difficulty expressing myself, which i know sounds crazy since my bagillion posts on the somethingness of nothingness would seem to say otherwise. But really, and i use this quote quite regularly, but there is this scene in the totally awesome movie "contact" where Jodie Foster's character has longed to go to space her whole life and she finally gets to go and travel through space and time or something and anyways this other planet she goes to is beautiful like...heaven and on her way there she is looking at the stars as she floats and she says in this way that lets you know that she just cannot say it any better

so beautiful...no words to describe...should have sent a poet.

And i know it was kind of a cheesy line to say but it has always stuck with me because so often there are moments in life when i wish i was a fuckin gpoet so that i could express the words in my soul. and i read stuff like neruda's "love is so short, and forgetting so long" and i think FUCK!! THAT IS SOME GOOD SHIT! my mom used to say "i wish i could write so that i could tell the story of my life" and i would say "mom, if you were a writer you wouldn't talk about writing, you would just do it. You wouldn't be able to not do it." Anyways i wish i was a poet, but alas, i am not.

My Tia Irma is really new agey adn says really random shit sometimes. When i was back home over break we were talking about my cousin who has this really bizarre sixth sense. There are moments when you talk to him and it's like he's seeing through your soul and it's kind of creepy and kind of comforting all at the same time. Anyways one time his mom has this dream that someone was going ot break into her house and in her dream she would always be saying to herself "lock teh sliding door, peopel are gonna come in." then one night my cousin was sleeping in her room and he woke up in the middle of the night after she had had her same dream and he goes "mom, mom please go make sure the sliding door is locked. please just do it. someoen is gonna break in." Anyways my Tia Irma was saying that she believes that artists (painters, poets, writers, singers, musicians, etc) literally act as mediums for humanity, like a Jungian collective unconscious which explains why they are sometimes so tortured because they have teh thoughts of the world weighing on them. I thought it was a really beautiful way of putting it.

So the point of all these words is to say that "like a star" is a really beautiful song and i wish that i was a poet or a singer or a musician or anything really so that i could express my soul like this.

Can't find the words to write this song...oooh



and for those who can't see the embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeTaboHap2g

No comments: