background

Monday, January 15, 2007

dance movies

guys, i saw "stomp the yard" last night. I would like to be able to say that someone had to drag me there and i hated every minute of it, but let's be honest. I have wanted to see this movie since i saw the preview during "the covenant" (a movie that i DID in fact get dragged to, and which i did in fact hate). "Stomp the yard," on the other hand was AWESOME! ok maybe not capitol letters wiht exclamation but it was like "step up" good. It was not quite "center stage" or "bring it on" or anything but it was good. I mean stomping, historically black universities, fraternities, brotherhood, bringing street moves to the refined world....all in one film?? how can you not go wrong. I judge all of my dance movies on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being "save the last dance" and 10 being "girls just want to have fun." And now in honor of this i give you my greatest and worst dance off end sequence films of all time.

10 out or 10: "girls just wanna have fun" - young Sarah Jessica Parker, young helen hunt, young SHANNON DOUGHERTY!! how can you go wrong with this film. the perfect mix of 80's glitter fashion, awesome dancing, SJP in white leather ankle boots and suspenders!!...i love this movie. It made me want to be a dancer. I didn't actually try to be a dancer but like in my head i imagined a dance sequence where i'd be moving, closing my eyes, and some rough tough man in a cut off t shirt would see me and fall madly in love with me. never happened.

9 out of 10: "shag" - a group of women in the early 1960's (i think) want to take their girlfriend Carson on her final weekend of fun in the sun before she gets married. They go to murtyle beach, meet boys, dance the shag, win dance competitions, throw a massive house party, and lose their virginities. one word, eeeeemagine.

9 out of 10: "Bring it on" - Like awesome, oh wow, like totally freak me out i mean RIGHT ON! this may be the only Kirsten dunst movie i have ever liked. Also that really hot guy was in it before he did "swimfan." why?? why did he make that movie? more importantly why did i spent 2 free hours watching it on hbo???

8 out of 10: "center stage" - fuck you mandy moore for singing one of the most awesome movie theme songs ever!! fuck you mandy and your sweet dulcit tones. i love the final scene when the "fat" girl with crooked feet fucking shows them all that she in fact CAN dance so fuck you peter gallagher and your eyebrows too! also this movie reminds me of my frosh roommate who was also a ballerini and during the scene with the bulemic girl would say "oh my god this movie is SOOOO my life!"

7 out of 10: "dirty dancing" - I mean it's a little tired out but you always have to go with a good classic dance movie. And damnit if "she's like the wind" doesn't make me tear up. nobody puts baby in the corner, need i say more?

7 out of 10: "dance with me" - personally i would have liked the plot to have gone away and just seen the ballroom dancing competitions. Samba samba!

1 out of 10: "save the last dance" - ballerina meets black man, learns to hip hop and move her inner soul and her vagina or something..? I honestly don't remember anything about this movie which clearly means it was not good enough to be good nor was it bad enough to be AWESOME so it was just there. I mean... as far as dance movies goes i would not know this in a marathon.

8 out of 10: "step up" - hottness, awesome ballerini clothes, fantastic dance scenes. It was good.

8 our of 10: "stomp the yard" - I don't know much about stomping or the history behind it but it seems hella cool as does "crumping" so for originality i give it snaps. Also the men were hot and ripped and running around on hill tops without shirts on.

9 out of 10: "salsa, the motion picture" - a lesser known film but a great one nonetheless. Made in 1988, this was my aunt martha's favorite movie. I don't remember the story exactly but puerto rican Rico (who was also the lead singer of Menudo) wants to be able to qualify for this dance competition in puerto rico so he can return to his hometown. he's also in love with a girl named margarita. Anywyas it's half dance movie half musical with singing and it's 100% awesome.

7 out of 10: "strictly ballroom" - again this one loses it's points for it's wierd plot but ballroom dancing is always welcomed. Traditional dancer learns to do the paso doble from a spanish man in australia = v. random

0 out of 10: "honey" - i didn't see this movie but just judging from the fact that jessica alba was in it and i hate her i will rate it a NOTHING.

8 out of 10: "saturday night fever" - wierd plot, rape scenes, leading lady with an awful accent and irritating voice and a really let down "dance off" scene but fuck if if john travolta doesn't dance the shit out of "more than a woman."

So that is my list of awesome dance movies, no particular order. my recommendation, rent them all on a friday night and then go see "stomp the yard" on saturday afternoon.

2 comments:

Silvs said...

ok first of all, how could you give center stage an 8 but bring it on gets a 9? that's not even dancing. they're just flipping the whole time. as a dance i seriosuly must call into question the criteria for you r rating system.
but with that said, i love the fact that you know about the movie shag. it's one of the greatest southern movies ever!
thirdly, i totes want to see stomp the yard as well. every time i'm fast forwarding my dvr and i see the preview whizzing by on my screen, i HAVE to stop, reqind, and watch the whole thing. don't ask me why? it looks like it will have the most rtarded plot line ever, but how can you not be entertained by a bunch of brothas introducing us to some new and innovative techniques to a time honored tradition with deep meaningful roots? you can't!

Casey said...

Have you seen the original, Japanese version of Shall We Dance? So weird, so good.