background

Friday, January 19, 2007

Boardgames and people who suck at them

Case, this post is for you,
so tonight we had a little pot luck dinner for the return of Jen from her homeland of singapore. We were all very excited as Jen is kind of totally awesome. Anyways afterwards we decided to all play cranium which leads me to my next topic. What is up with grad students (and i guess people in general's) lack of knowledge about things that i consider basic? I mean ok, i sucked at the real trivial pursuit when i played at Casey's house but those were actual hard questions and i was very upset about the whole thing.

But like seriously. Who doesn't know who Zsa Zsa Gabore is? now I'm not saying that you have to give me every film she has ever been in but i'm talking just general, you know that she was an actress, or....a person. Someone said "wait ok so where is that?" It's a person!! an actress! gahhh. But my team was bomb and we essentially lapped the other teams. We had Jen and this kid Scott who has my level of knowledge on pop culture, thus he gets things when i act them out and hum them, and he's good at trivia and words games, which we were not. If he were good at sports i would add him to my all star trivia team. And jen and i, well jen and i are just relaly competitive and driven. But i've found that my key talent is not necessarily my acting skills, or drawing skills, or Humming skills (although i'm a damn good hummer). But my key talent is that i usually know who the people are, what the books are, who the bands and singers are. Have you ever been playing a game and someone picks up the clue and is liek "what is this???" that almost never happens to me, and so consequently i can almost always figure out a way to get the message across to my team as i know what i'm talking about. but alas sometimes my team does not know who i am talking about and so even my knowledge of all things media does not help.

No no but wait, the worst was when this one team, "UPS-What can brown do for you" (an indian and 2 black guys) got the clue "director of the 'brat pack" movies." Now at this point scott and i were liek EASY EASY WE KNOW IT!! but the question goes on, which i felt was unnecessary "such as breakfast club, sixteen candles, ferris bueller's day off." They were stumped. At this point i was the clue reader so i started singing "man in motion" for them but only my team was really laughing cuz the rest of the room was like what the fuck is she doing. So they did not get the answer!! and they were like "dude we are black! why would we know this!" and i was like "dude i am mexican and i know this!!" and at the end me and scott were liek "JOHN HUGHES!!" now to me i felt that was a really easy question. I mean it's all relative right. So point being...if these people were to play the intense game of charades that was played Tahoe 2006 they would have been anihilated. I mean seriously, most intense game of charades EVER!!! I mean when you have team members who can act out and guess "jacque cousteau" and "Obsessive Compulsive Disorder" in under 2 seconds you clearly have a team of winners.

so i don't know what my point is. My point is i miss my peeps. tonight is a chill night. Sometimes i'ts nice to have chill nights in grad school because you forget to do things like eat, and shower and watch tv and do your nails and stuff. So tonight I

plucked my eybrows
cut my finger nails
gave myself a pedicure
put V05 hot oil in my hair (yes, i did a hair treatment. who am i?)
and then i blowm dryed my hair, something i never have time to do anymore.

and you know what, in the end, it has truly been a glorious night.

No comments: