background

Thursday, December 28, 2006

A Treatise On Handbags

guys, it has come to my attention that i am a handbag addict. This comes about mainly because we are all (my aunts and i) going to south coast with my tia martha tomorrow so that she can purchase herself a louis vuitton bag. She wants us to drive in my mom's Beamer so that we can all roll up and swear like WHAT!! it's gonna be awesome. anyways i was thinking about how many purses I have and it's kind of a lot and i'm kind of disgusted with myself but not enough to actually stop. My mom alwyas says that i should enjoy wanting things while i'm young because when i'm old and actually have money i won't have wants, but now when i do'nt have money i do have wants so i should just enjoy my wants. does that make any sense? i feel liek i'm not expressing myself correctly So in honor of my addictions and wants as a way of paying my knowledge forward to you guys i decided that i should give you my little formal exposition on handbags, brands that matter, brands that swear, and brands that don't need to swear because they are just awesome.

BURBERRY (amount owned by me: 2. do i want more: yes)
- I confess, i have a weak spot for wearing what laurel used to call, old man plaid. I can't help myself. Somthing about that hot man in the ad and kate moss and how good she looks in a trench coat nad the gold and....mmm. I own one burberry purse and one wallet, which is a nice casual bag. The colors (khaki, black, and red) allow it to be usable with most denim and solid colored sweaters. I also enjoy their brown leather bags. but alas, no more burberry for me for a while.

FENDI (amount owned by me: 0. do i want one: yes!)
- there is something about fendi that is so very austentatious and yet...i kidn of love it. if i were going to get a bag i would want the tiny baguetts that have like mirrors and fur and shit on the because they are kind of like art peices, and if you're gonna get a fendi bag GET A FENDI BAG. But i'm not there yet in life. I measure my status by what kind of purse i can buy. Fendi, i'm not there yet. but like if i were taking a cruise in sardinia i would take a bag like this
and if i were roaming the streets of madrid I might want a more indistrial bag like this
CHRISTIAN DIOR (amount owned by me: 0. do i want one: no)
- i really don't like their bags. They look plastic and like not in the good way. would you pay 1500 for this bag? i would not. And i will pay for ALOT of things, which i think speaks volumes.
FURLA (amount owned by me: 0. do i want one: yes!)
- you know, furla bags are really simple and elegant and not exorbitantly priced, and i kind of like them. But they are never so awesome that i actually go out and buy one. they are the kind of bag that i look at and say...oh i like that, but not enough to actually buy that. they are very good every day bags. Because there is a difference between evenings bags and day/jean bags. But i really do think they have nice designs and good leather and cool colors like this
and this
you know the more i look at them the more i'm like...i should get one. ok my next bag...a furla. done and done!

GUCCI (amount owned by me: 1. would i purchase another: yes!)
- i could act like i am above wanting designer things that scream trendy but...fuck it, i'm not! i love designer stuff! i love giant g's everywhere! I saw this bag in person and it's really quite stunning
to me gucci is glitz and european vacations and big sunglasses and hatssss and general excess. and brown really is a great color for a hand bag because it goes with everything! It's a traditional bag company and for a reason. rich people don't just buy crap forever year after year.

ISABELLA FIORE (amount owned by me: 1. would i purchase another: yes!)
- i love these bags! they are like going to a turkish bazarre. anyways they are realy pretty and the only real bags i like that use embroidery and shit. Ever since i found one mismarked in the sale basket at nordstrom and they had to honor their price i have loved them. It's a clutch with a yellow flower and a black and white checkered print in the background and it's a nice evening bag.
to me these bags remind me of what i'd wear if i was roaming the streets of mexico in huaraches

JUICY COUTURE (amount owned by me: 0. do i want one: hell no)
-HATE IT!! TRASHY san fernando valley, arizona, chic. ugh hate it hate it hate it. i hate vinyl that has no purpose and i hate terry cloth. seriously i also kind of hat epeople who buy pink for the sake of looking "cute."
it just reminds me of paris hilton and i am NOT ok with that.

KATE SPADE (amount owned by me: 0. do i want one: um...no not really)
- there have been a few occasions where i have seen some really nice kate spade leather bags like in bright green and pretty yellow but for the most part i think they are overpriced for what they are. not that the bags are bad but just you are not getting much.
i mean.....i guess???

HOGAN (amount owned by me: 0. do i want one: si, si)
- to me these bags are very british/danish and by that i mean very simple, sturdy, well made, and not at all gaudy. But ever since I saw our italian teacher in florence, ermelinda campani, wearing one i knew i needed ot have one. In fact, i think i try to base my fashion choices on "what would ermelinda do?" because this woman was ON POINT!! like we're talking LV luggage, hogan/gucci bags, chanel jackets, pink lipstick, short hair, gucci sunglasses, sssssnake skin boots!! she was fucking hot!! the gays and me, we referred to her as "erms." "what is erms wearing today." I imagine this would be the kind of bag that erms would wear.

MARC JACOBS (amount owned by me: 0. do i want one: i'm not sure yet)
- to me marc jacobs is a little to SF hipster. liek i like the bags, but i don't have any clothes to wear them with. get what i'm saying? Emily's style would accentuate a marc jacobs bag. on me it would just look cheap and not at all cool.

PRADA (amount owned by me: 0. do i want one: not really)
- i really don't like their bags mainly because i do'nt really like nylon bags. if i'm gonna spend like 400 bucks it better not be on nylon. anyways their leather bags don't relaly interest me that much either

COACH (amount owned by me: 6ish. do i want more: yeah i'd buy more)
- i'm not really sure how it happened that i ended up being the owner of so many coach bags but there it is. to me they are kind of like nine west shoes, they are pretty good quality, pretty cheap, and good everyday bags. I mean honestly the leather is decent and i always get complemented on them so why not, and i'm not gonna use my louis or gucci bags everyday. that being said there are good coach bags to buy and then there are bad coach bags to buy. like really really bad. for instance, tote bags = good. I have this bag in blue only it's a tote (i cant' find a pic online and i left it in michigan). it's kind of a cool denimish looking bag and i must say i get a lot of compliments from people who normally don't even like coach.
I also have this bag which is an awesome bag, many compliments.
i have a few others but my absolute favorite is this one i bought a few years back. this bag, literally, people will stop me on the street and be like 'I LOVE THAT BAG!!" becaues it's orange and fucking awesome. it goes really well with denim and cream colored tops.
that being said there are a lot of people with bad taste out there who buy coach and tote that C around and while i love the C because it represents my name and maybe that's why i'm drawn to it i never just buy bags for the sake of the name. I have to really like the bag. I mean hell i even bought a dooney and bourke bag once because teh color was cute enough, despite the fact that those bags are kind of crap.

CHANEL (amount owned by me: 0. do i want one: hell yeah!)
- love!! ok so they are not super interesting but it's fucking chanel!! if i bought this bag it would be purely to say that i own a chanel bag, and i admit that. Also i would not buy a chanel bag until i was 50 so i could look AWESOME AND CLASSY AND OLD. My mom is going ot buy one next year. yay!! she cant' this year because this year her resolution is to not be too into thingsssssss. so she's not going ot buy anything.

LOUIS VUITTON (amount owned by me: 2. do i want more: fuck yeah)
- ever since i read the story of the LV empire in W magazine i have been facinated. these are alot liek coach where they can go terribly awry liek in the case of the LV backpack and the rainbow LV. why would you do that!! why????? but i must say that owning one (the tube) i can honestly say that the brown really does go with everything! liek it's a really good neutral color.
I used to be the kind of person who said i hated them, but the truth is that was because i was jealous and couldn't afford one. But then my dad randomly bought me a wallet for my graduation and i was liek "i love it!!" And my mom and i would go to the fancy mall and we were like "you know they really do look good on people." it's like tiffany jewlery. I think it's kind of crap but that's just cuz i don't own any of it. If i owned it i'd probably brag about how awesom eit is. and i'm not gonna lie i love their ads! like serioulsy if i was trapped in the desert with nothing but a gold bathing suit and my acrilic platforms i would sure hope that i had my louis vuitton trunk on hand. this i also love. my tia lupe has one in cream color and it's tre cute
I saw this limited edition one from their new collecting and i was soooo close to buying it. i told the man "i have to step outside for a second so i can consolidate my assets." in the end i could not rustle up 1300 dollars. why!!! it's leather and preforated
i also almost bought a clutch in this color or yellow but alas
but seriously this is the perfect example as with all handbags, if you step away from the traditional LV print or Coach emblem or any designer for htat matter you will see that some handbag designers actually do make excellent bags with great style and durability. So i guess what i'm saying is...in the end you get what you pay for, and that's a fact. Some people pay for the name, some people pay for the quality, and some for both. I think i am of the latter, but i would never purchase just to say i owned it. And i will tell you, honest to god, i get compliments quite frequnetly on the things that i do own, whether it be my most expensive bag, or the gold clutch i bought for $1 at the goodwill. So to you i impart this take home message, the words of my late abuelita Ester, the rich girl from the poor village, "it's not what you wear, but how you wear it. And if you wear it like it cost you a million bucks, people will assume it did."

PALABRA!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sara says...
holy crap, cristina, i had no idea you actually owned so many designer pieces. the only designer thing i own are my donna karan collection "break up" shoes which i only let myself buy because they were half off, haha. actually, i wore them to the med school ball, and at the afterparty, this guy was going off on how girls are ridiculous. he picked up one of my shoes and was like, "i mean, look at this, it's really pretty, but you'll probably only wear it once and it probably cost you like $80." and every girl in the room started freaking out like, "what?! that's donna karan!" and he was really embarassed. it was funny, although i had a brief moment of, wow, do my shoes that retail for $600 look like they only cost $80?

but then i decided that no, they don't. and plus, they are the most comfortable formal shoes i've ever owned.

Emily said...

i have to say i laughed out loud several times at this and your previous entry. i am reading it in an internet cafe in london. i believe we have slightly different opinions but i wanted to say that i LOVE fendi, if i ever had enough money i would buy fendi first. also there was a LV sharkskin bag a few years ago that was beeyewtiful, i would have bought that for you know, $10,000. i also kind of like the coach bags that are out there right now, the patchwork ones with the different colors and metallics. some are good, some are bad. oh and i also wanted one with fur on it. fake fur but i saw a woman the other day in london wearing a fur stole and i WANTED it. i kind of like fur, that's so unliberal of me.

i don't see you wear that orange coach purse that much.