background

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Old pics



So my dad finally took the time to get all the pictures off of his camera of our trip to Mexico last December. Oh what a trip it was. We went to my mom's village i had some deep thoughts which don't necessarily need to be shared at present but here are some fun pics of the shit hole where my mom was born.

Apparently i was passed out in the car when they took this picture. I think it would have been really cool to stand in front of this sign but alas the 2 hours of desert landscape and tumble weeds put me to sleep. Oh yeah the town we were headed for was Romita! Sounds small town ish doesn't it!


Me and Mom in front of the town church. I just noticed how the people in the background look really tiny and i don't knwo if they are actually small people or if we are on higher ground. The inside of Romita's one church. Yes, those are pinatas hanging. See now you can tell people that pinatas aren't just for stupid birthday parties, but real mexicans actually use them. I didn't take a close up of all the creepy life-like cloth statues that had real hair because i didn't want a curse put on me. there were some really intense looking indian women in there and we had to secretly take this picture.
The house with what looks like fish net hanging on the outside was where my grandma was born. Yeah...i know. I cant' really figure out where the fishnet is coming from cuz my mom is from the equivalent of Arizona in Mexican geography.
I really love this picture. It's the door of my mom's house! I mean basically what you see is the width of it and where the green wall becomes white is the end of the house. She claims that they were the richest people in her town, which i think speaks volumes about Romita. The reason we look so awkward is that a creepy old lady who lived inside kept opening the door and looking at us. My mom tried to talk to her and tell her this was the house she grew up in and we thought the women would show some hopsitality and let us come in but she just slammed the door in our faces. bitch.
Me and my mom very intensely eating a torta. Mmmm mexican Sssssangwhiches. In retrospect wearing burberry in a poor mexican village seems a bit inaprop.
and this is my favorite picture of all. It's me totaly grossed out as i watch my mom scarf down a plate of cueritos. Translation, pickled, raw, pig skin. Yeah, now you have that face too. I was curious and tried one. It was good but the idea of waht it was kept me from fully enjoying it. Also I kept thinking "what are the repricautions of eating pickled raw pork skin." I found my answer later that night on the empty desert highway of Guanajuato as I was hit with a major SA. Oh man we were like 45 minutes from our hotel and it hit me. My dad said that he had toilet paper and we could pull over and my desperate response was "i'm not shitting on a cactus!!" Anyways i didn't, end of story, but it was bad. Beware of the cueritos.

And those were the highlights of my trip to Romita. God i love going to Mexico. I think we're gonan do it again this December only we're hitting up my dad's home state where Papi and i plan on doing a tour of Tequila, Guadalajara. Oh yeah!

No comments: