background

Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Dean and Deluca?

I’ve spent 95% of my adult life on a college campus where relationships begin over heavy drinking and a random hook up that turns into a 3 year thing that sometimes goes somewhere but usually leads nowhere. So the world of dating is very new to me. Men planning things? Paying? Flirtation with strangers? Gwat??!!


So I went on my first date a few weeks ago. The guy worked in a school and I know I said I was only looking for ibankers but he seemed nice. He called me "adorable" in an email which I should have known was a warning sign. I'm an adult! not a child! And then before I knew what was happening I was being invited to a date at a Starbucks in a heavily populated part of the city. We’re in the most awesome city in the world and you want to go to a Starbucks?! I talked it over with a few people who said that maybe he was just wanting something very neutral. But really we were trying to make chicken out of chicken shit. Is that even a saying? I have no idea.


so there i was on a Wednesday night walking into the most bland looking, empty starbucks at 7pm. I was embarrassed to see myself there. I saw the guy and of course, classic online dating scenario...he was way shorter than he listed himself as being and was balding. But I could see how the pics he took of himself were from good angles and from those good angles he could almost be cute. But from real life angles he was just kind of sad. and i'm not even that into looks but as i soon found out, he really didn't have the personality to make up for his looks. If someone is REALLY hot and you just want to stare at them you can forgive them a terrible personality.


so that was problem number 1. then this little exchange happened


him: did you even know there was a starbucks here?!

me: (confused because there is a starbucks EVERYWHERE! In fact there was one literally around the corner) um....no?

him: yeah can you believe it! there is one right here!

me: um...yeah


He was genuinely surprised and excited about the starbucks in the middle of nyc. ??????????????? As you can imagine it all just went downhill from there. He was really awkward and just stood at the entrance staring at the part of the bar where they serve your finished drinks. I said to him "should we get in line?" His response was jarring "oh i didn't even see a line. I wasn't sure about how this worked." Now did that mean he didn't know how this particular starbucks worked or how any starbucks worked? because THEY ARE ALL THE SAME!! MY GOD!! they are designed to be like catholic mass, identical and easy to follow no matter where in the world you are!


He was a guidance counselor and said he related to the ADD children he worked with. hmmm. He'd gone to a local CUNY school, which i'm not judging, but he was also from manhattan and had never left. he said "i have everything i need here. i can go to the movies, get whatever i want 24/7 from the local corner store, anything else i can get online." oh like CULTURE and AN INTERESTING PERSONALITY!? and he came from a wealthy family so it's not like you can attribute his lack of world savy to being low income or something. he also said that he was sorry for acting so tired because Wednesday's were his longest days. Yet he suggested we get together on Wednesday...


other strange things he said. "do you go to the movies?" obvi i do but when i asked him to elaborate he said he liked "all movies." hmmm. "do you like to work out?" no, not terribly but i said i do specific things occasionally. When asked to elaborate he said he "works out all the time and does everything. that's the only other thing he does other than work or movies." and he didn't look like it, let me tell you. It's just very strange when a person has no sense of humor. strange. So of course i had my back up plans and met the slammers for falafal. And he even texted me a few days later saying he had a great time and wanted to get together again. unfortch before i could write him back to say thanks but no thanks i lost my phone and with it his number. point taken, world.


It was just really random and sad. And while most people would lose faith in humanity after such a date and say things like "i'll never find someone! wah wah wah" i had a different take on the situation. If the majority of the women that are in my dating pool are as boring and uninteresting as this guy then there is like NO competition. I don't want to bag the boring men. I want the interesting fun men because i sort of think that i am interesting and fun. And if the interesting and fun men are going out with women who are as boring as this guy then i'm going to KILL in the world of dating! I can seriously have a conversation with a wall so talking to strangers is not a problem. And lesson learned, i will stick to my plan of wealthy men. because let's be honest, i'm not looking for anything long term.


in the next entry...when "w's" become "v's": my date with an indian man, dot not feather.




No comments: