background

Monday, August 27, 2007

who am i?

i have found myself recently carrying around a notebook with me for blogging ideas and things that i want to rant about. I find this kind of sad, like i'm trying to pretend i'm a real writer when i'm really not. Also i usually go back and read my notes and don't have the same ferver i had when i first wrote them so i scrap the whole idea.

So anyways one of the notes i wrote to myself was that i should write about my move. I moved...i moved 4 houses down but it was a move nonetheless. moves suck balls. Especially when you are a single girl with lots of shit. I always hate asking people to help me so i only let my few really really close friends participate. I do this because moving other people's stuff sucks but also because when i ask random people to help me move i always get comments like "you have so much shit!" and "do you really need this many shoes." I don't need that kind of judgment! yes i need 9 pairs of boots!

So anyways all the big guys i know are out of town. In fact everyone i know is out of town so it was just me and Nishi left here to move all of my shit. Let me tell you why moving is especially hard for me. I have really short arms. I have really short everything but my short arms prevent me from being able to fully grasp boxes and makes gripping things really difficult. So anyways that was not the point of this post. I moved, it's done, onto move interesting topics.

I went to ikea this weekend. does everyone hate going to ikea as much as i do? I hate that people go there and think they are buying really classy, stylish furniture. It's ikea for fucks sake! If you have style you can make anything work from the most expensive to the cheapest store but if you have no style prefab swedish furniture isn't gonna suddenly give you good taste. we traversed the masses, i bought a red dresser (red, i decided, will be my new accent color against my green bed spread) and a red chair, my stomach started bothering me and i had to rush to the bathroom, we ate 50 cent hot dogs. all in all it was your typical trip to ikea. I have this theory that we are all given gifts, and that we can be good at a lot of things but we can only be great at a few things. I am GREAT at putting together ikea furniture. furniture in general but especially ikea furniture. it is like my gift. i will say now that i can put together any piece in 20 minutes or less. true story. so anyway i had this realization as i was trying to find an end table that i really hate paying for cheap things. Dont' get me wrong, i love paying under $10 for an awesome dress at forever 21 but paying over 100 dollars for something that is cheaply made and that i will have to replace in a couple of years really bugs me. I love love love buying expensive things for cheap but cheap things ugh. And that is exactly what i hate about ikea. Nonetheless, my current (and eternal) financial slump leaves me in the position where if i need furniture i have to go to ikea. this is my life.

I am using this as my computer chair only it has dark wooden legs
my dresser only it's a more bright red in person
I went to ikea with my gay and his fiance, eric. For some reason eric was like "what is your ideal wedding dress" mainly because they were talking about their wedding. I think what makes this funny is that eric is this huge black guy with dreadlocks so it sounds odd having someone like that ask you what your ideal wedding dress is. I'd never really thought about it so much mainly because i never thought that the cut of wedding dresses suited my figure. i don't look good in long dresses and it kind of annoys me that this is the norm. To be honest i had this idea of just fucking the whole wedding dress concept and buying a couture gown for the same price in some awesome color like gold or something. well he had an idea and we both added to it, so here it is. My ideal wedding dress: strapless, maybe raw silk, knee length (fuck the long dress), shoes we are not sure about but something manolo blahnik esque. and then to top it off have a really cute bun or something and have a short veil that hits at the nose, liek those old hats from the 40's. nice huh! now i just have to find the husband. but i figure i'll just have someone make this dress for me. I bet it will cost less than buying one.

So anyways onto my new place. where i was living before they had everythign so i really didin't have to buy anything. But now we all have been roomates and none of us own anything liek plates and shit liek that. so i've been shopping at teh salvation army and varoius consignment stores to try to built up our kitchen collection. I got a 20 piece pier 1 set of dinnerware for 20 bucks. I grew up in a world of pottery barn and z gallery and now i'm buying plates at teh salvation army. What would my mother say. That being said my mom's used to and still buys glasses from the 99 cent store so i guess that's where i got it from. I bought 2 nice frying pans at the macy's home sale for 50% off and a wustoff chefs knife. As my father and anthony bourdain always say, you really only need one good chefs knife, not that whole block of knives you will never use.

I have always had this fantasy of owning mix n match china patterned plates. The idea of just having one pattern (or china at all) seems very limiting but owning lots of different plates from various collections seems very cool indeed. Actually i never grew up with china so i don't know anything about it. So i found this antique/consignment/used store around the corner form me that sells awesome stuff called the treasure chest and i have begun to build up an awesome plate collection. if i hadn't lost my camera in puerto rico i'd take pictures, but alas.

my room: oh man. I always knew i loved ethnic art and bright colors but i never realized that i was basically venturing into the world of urban outfitter type home stylings. it's true, i am a hipster. evidence: on my red dresser i put a gold framed square mirror (salvation army 17 bucks), a teal blue lamp with a shade that has little birds on it (urban outfitters, hate myself),
a tree for hangingmy necklaces (also urban outfitters but also totally necessary), this in brass
an antique wooden tray (treasure chest $9), on top of tray are various glass canistars of different sizes holding all of my vitamins. Instead of putting the vitamin bottles up there i decided to put them in pretty glass containers to make them more aesthetically pleasing, and then a picture of me and my mom in the 80's. it kind of looks awesome but i also judge myself.

i also bought glass hooks for my purses and scarves that have the virgin mary and jesus on them and i have 2 shelves where i have pictures of my parents and my virgin mary candles and other wierd religious stuff. I also have a wall of crosses. these curtains. thye have red flowers and gold accents

judge me!! but we have an indian, a turk and a frenchman all living in one house so i really think it will just be brimming with ethnic flare all over the walls.

so that is about it for now. I think i'm gonna have an R. Kelly trapped in the closet party on thursday once my roomies movie in. i hope...

oh suggestions: so i want a cool shower curtain. If i could find one that had little birds like the lamp shade i'd buy it. know anywhere i can find a cool one? i also need an earing rack. and more art. I was thinking of framign these old posters my dad gave me that he had of pancho villa and che and zapata. they are sepia and black and white and also kind of awesome. thoughts?

3 comments:

Emily said...

so i know i already saw all this stuff but i have to reiterate my approval. also i have the lamp base that is shaped like an owl and have been looking for a shade for it forever. annoying. i need a new bedspread. and i approve the wedding dress idea. you would look awesome in a short dress with that short veil.

(Also i almost bought a $50 voice recorder so i can record the things i'm thinking about when i'm driving or walking around or whatever. should i?)

Silvs said...

no i tried the whole recorder thing. it doesn't really work. i kept getting freaked out by how high pitched and impish my voice sounded. not to mention once you have it you realize all the thoughts you want to pour into it usually occur in public places where you really don't want folks to hear or see you speaking into a recorder.

just my opinion.

xtina, i like the idea of your dress but i wonder what i would say if i actually saw someone with a knee length wedding dress. i'm all for the half veil though.

Anonymous said...

dude i was just in urban outfitters today, drawn in by the promise of 2-for-$25 t-shirts (i didn't get them b/c frankly the quality of those shirts is so low i'd rather get american apparel tees that last, at this point, up to at least 3 years with constant use) and %50 off other stuff and saw this lamp and loved it and wished i needed a lamp. so no shame cricri, no shame.