background

Monday, August 14, 2006

my encounter with a tranny

So i don't know what is up with blogger but for some reason it isn't publishing my last 4 post so they all might hit you in a few days and you'll be like "wow cristina, slow it down with the 50 bagillion posts in one day" but really it was over a 5 days period.

So today i woke up early to drop my mom off at work. This would not have been so awful had it not been for the fact that the korean teenager who lives next door to me was watching some crazy loud dvd until the wee hours of the night. I just heard all of this piano music coming from the window next to mine and it was so hot but i had to close the window but then i could STILL hear the damn piano music. it's been like this for the past few nights which is why i'm assuming she's watching a series. When i went to check it out i somehow got caught in my window treatments and and the curtain rod and curtains all came crashing down on me and i was soooo irate. And i don't know why i didn't just call them curtains, i hate when people call them "window treatments." They are curtains!! Actually my theory on what happened was that she fell asleep with a dvd of some show, i'm not sure which one, in the dvd player and the menu music was playing on repeat for 4 hours. it was this awful depressing, dawson's creekesque type piano music playing on repeat until 3 am. i wanted to cry and then die and then finally sleep. I also was driving myself crazy trying to name that tune for what show she was watching. i couldn't figure it out. So she finally turned off the tv sometime around 3:30 and i got to fall asleep only to wake up at 7 to drop off my mom. blahhh.

so anyways point of borrowing the car was that i wanted to go to the Museum of Contemporary Art so that i could be like cultural and shit. I felt awful driving around my parents monstrosity of a car. As much as i thought that i would never become all "save the earth" and shit, i can't help myself. living in SF has changed me. ugh I've changed! I care about the environment and i felt really guilty driving a Tahoe around LA.

so i went to the MOCA and they were having a Rauschenberg exhibit which i have to say was a bit excessive. He would do these collage paintings that incorporated paint and fabric and newspapers and like a sock and sometimes like a peice of wood and so because it was a painting but also had some aspects of sculpture they are known as "combines." to me it just looked like a collage but whatever. Now i do kind of like modern art although i think that some of it is art and some of it is bullshit. Anyways this guy kind of felt like bullshit. yeah yeah, but rauschenberg is a genius, whatever. so they would have combines like this and it would be called "untitled" and then the critics would be like "he's making a statement on our society and how we consume" and i was like....um really?? cuz to me it seemed like he just put shit together and called it untitled. Freshman year of college i used to make my own version of "combines." Actually there was no 3rd dementional aspect so they were just collages but i too would make statements on our society. Like one time i found this picture of Celine Dion baptizing her baby with her husband Rene and on her baby's head i posted a picture of Christina Aguilera. get it get it! it's like our society worships pop music. And then another time i had a picture of the pope holding his hand up and i glued a pic of a martini glass and a bottle of absolute vodka into his hands. Again i was making a statement on the excess in our society. I should be at a museum.

Well in my humble opinion Rauschenberg was nowhere near as cool as the duchamp "fountain" at the SF MOMA
where he was like "it's art cuz i say it's art! bam!" I respect that shit! He knew it was ridiculous and he was fucking with us. THAT is art! He was all like "oh it's in my own genre that i made up. i call it 'found art'." Here is an actually legit quote that he made, "I threw a bottle rack and urinal in their faces as a challenge and now they admire them for their aesthetic beauty." See he made us see the art in the everyday! Mad respect for you, marcel, mad respect.

so anyways aside from that they had a pollack, a lichtenstein, and other shit. they didn't have as much stuff as the SFMOMA so i got through the museum in 45 minutes, a record for me i think. so that was kind of a disappointment so then i went to the galleria which was also a disappointment mostly because as i have said before, fashion this season upsets me, but more importantly because i don't have any money to buy anything. But as i told my mom "there was nothing cool enough to where i said, I would go into debt for that!" It was all just blah. so then i went to target, i mean basically i was trying ot go to as many places as i could while i had a car.

I went up to the PV library to return the Six Feet under DVD's i had finished and to rent the new ones that i needed. the problem was that i was up to disc 2 on season 2 and they had every disc after that except disc 3! ahh! i went to the front and i was surprised to find that the "woman" servicing me was a tranny, or at least i think she was. I'm pretty sure she was. Anyways i was like "um can you check on the status of disc 3 of this show because it was due on the 4th and it's still not in and i can't continue the saga without it! apparently whoever has disc 3 is holding it hostage and racking up some late fees. I was livid! possitively LIVID! I ended up having to go to hollywood video to get the disc. People don't realize the effect that we all have on each other's lives. that one person selfishly deciding to keep the disc really affected my life today.

Then i drove to another target, 2 targets in one day! nothing relaly eventful happened there except for the fact that on my way there i heard "kiss from a rose" by seal on the radio and was singing along, because it's a bomb song and and i was remembering the batman soundtrack it was on and how that soundtrack was the bomb because it also had Jewel "foolish games" on it which for some reason at age 11 defined my life. Also it was a time when saying something was "the bomb" was not wierd or outdated. Holy crap wait apparently foolish games was on the other Batman soundtrack. wow. Point being i was singing along then suddenly i realized that i had made one of the biggest lyrical faux poxs of my life! All these years i was singing

"now that your rose is in bloom, I like its to bloom on the grave!!"

I know these lyrics make no sense but i didn't have internet at that time when the song came out and i just figured Seal was using some poetic license. Actual lyrics...

"Now that your rose is in bloom, A light hits the gloom on the grey"

That makes SOOO much more sense! I was always wondering why he was talking about a grave and i always assumed the muse of the song was dead and a rose was blooming at her grave. dude i was an IDIOT!! Then i heard "living on a prayer" and i pumped my fist some more for the blue collar, poverty stricken, underdogs of society! yeah fist pumping!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dude, marcel duchamp! fuck, cristina, you're killing me with all these things that are only now coming out, damn! and for the record, i LOVE modern art.